This is a pretty full and eventful year that’s coming to an end these days, and it’s time to indulge in an usual cliché of reminiscing and ranking the year that’s ending.
And here on Ask a Frenchman, I won’t do things any differently as I’m going to tell you about the 10 most popular posts of the blog for this year 2011.
Here they are:
1. Of course, the most read post this year is the same as every year (apparently Google really likes this post, or at least liked, as with the technical issues from last fall, my rankings have been a little messed up, but more on that another day or never), I’m talking about “How do you date a Frenchman?” I never really know what to think about the popularity of that post. Is it just linked to the fact that for a couple of years it was very well ranked by Google? Or are there so many women out there fantasizing about Frenchmen?
2. The second most popular post this year is “Do French men really find American women fascinating?”
If you wonder why I am disillusioned with my own blog at times, there you have the answer; just look at what are the two most popular posts on this blog. When I started Ask a Frenchman, I had two goals: try to be funny and offensive at the same time as well as teach English speakers about my culture. But this is what people care about when they think about France instead…
3. What do French people think of American accents in French? I’m surprised by the success of that rather trivial question, but once again, we all know that success on the Internet has often more to do with being well ranked in Google rather than an actual larger number of people interested in the topic.
4. Why do a lot of French people still smoke? Ah! Finally an interesting topic. I predict a bright future for this post.
5. And we’re back to more relationship/sex questions with: How do you recognize gay men in France?
6. Same old same old: What does it mean to hold hands for a French?
7. A spin-off from “Why French Women Do Not Ask Men Out?” Yawn… Maybe that Top 10 thing was not such a good idea after all…
8. What do the French think of Asian people? Always a tricky type of question…
9. Why don’t French people wear deodorant? Wow, I’m surprised to find this question in the top 10. It’s actually one of the very first posts from Ask a Frenchman and it was asked by a friend just for kicks.
10. What’s wrong with those people? In which I explain that you will find rude people everywhere even in France.
And special mention to: What is the Gallic shrug? because I like it and I think it should be ranked higher.
And that’s it for today (and this year). Have fun and enjoy…
I’ll be back soon (hopefully) with more questions…